Saturday, January 10, 2009

Jeanne comes to town..




January 10
Today was fabulous. Well, last night it rained but kids in my group went to a bar called Chupitos. It was a bar with just shots-175 shots to be exact. They had girl scout cookie, harry potter, bin laden,monica lewisky and many more so you can imagine what type of place this was. After that we tried to go to a club called Catwalk but decided against it. We got home at 4 am and I had to wake up at 9am to meet Jeanne at my apartment. She got a little lost, but when she finally made it I was SO happy. It was so great to see someone from home and I think I talked her head off! She will be abroad for 80 days (wants to stay longer, but there is a minimum if you don't have a visa). She has been to Paris, London, Amsterdam, and now she is in Barcelona and will stay with a family for a week. After that she is going to Madrid, Seville, Italy, Switzerland,Germany, Czecch Republic, and then back to Barcelona( I convinved her). Anyway she rode the train here, stayed in a hostel last night, but was ready to go today! She got 60 euro stolen from her in Amsterdam, but she has a really good attitude about it. In fact, she is paying for her trip over here. Well kind of- Her parents are still paying her car note, and her rent in Miami( no luck with a subletter) and some of her trip, but she is so in love with europe and will want to stay a while. Today we split paella which is a spanish seafood dish and after we had a chocolate waffle. The big event of our day was a protest against the violence in Gaza. At first it was interesting to see how passionate everyone was. I mean this protest was HUGE-singing,posters,cameras. However, it got a little intense and me and Jeanne had to leave! All we wanted was a chocolate waffle and we got caught in the drama. One sign was of the statue of liberty with a cnn tv and in spanish it said "who are the real terrorists?'. Another had an israeli flag +american flag that =nazi. One man held a fake baby doll with fake blood and had his shoe off (wanting to throw it at Bush). Signs in spanish said Bush was an asassin and others had an american fork eating kids. One man explained to me that America likes to just watch things happen and he hated Bush. I am not a Bush fan myself, but these signs were terrible. The spanish people are very nice though, I never felt unsafe, just claustrophobic. I haven't been here long but already love learning how the world works. I would never get to see a protest like that at home (maybe in Ann Arbor), but never Georgia. I guess the Europeans are right because while they were out there protesting violence I was just trying to find a chocolate dessert. It really gave Jeanne and I pause...We need to step up our political game/ world knowledge. It is 10:41 pm here..we are going to go out..

Hasta luego-Robin

2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for fabulous days! Hello to Jeanne. Have lots of fun, but please be really careful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. robin, i saw a similar protest today in the streets of DC when earl and i were trying to go to a movie-i feel like i could have been there with you. glad to hear you are having fun!! :) <3 lk

    ReplyDelete