Sunday, January 11, 2009

La Sagrada Familia











January 11,2009
Today Jeanne and I woke up at 3 p.m...yes 3! I had my curtains close and we slept like babies. After getting some fruit for breakfast (or lunch rather) we took the metro to La Sagrada Familia which is a Roman Catholic church under construction and it began in 1882. I had to do a project on it once, but it is absolutely GORGEOUS in person. After this we got some snacks and headed home. At home we usually talk,talk,talk and read our maps. We have so much fun together. We were never that close growing up, but we have become great friends here and we have alot in common! I was even kind enough to let her borrow some pajamas (the poor thing only has like one pair ) because she is back-packing through Europe. Here I am thinking I took to little and she looked at my little closet like it was Beyonce's wardrobe. We were going to go to a quaint restaurant in Las Ramblas, but a boy-Max- from our group invited us over for dinner. Chinese food and wine for 5 euro at his place. His apartment is in an amazing location and it is very cozy. Everyone was glad to meet Jeanne and we had a ball. I asked Max all about the Gaza riots because he is a walking CNN station. No, really, he is the smartest 20 year old I have ever met. He goes to Berkely (as did both his parents) and he has been ALL OVER the world including Israel 3 times. He told me about Hamas and how they are a terrorist group, but they control everything and they do alot for their people. He also said that Israel appears to be bombing schools on purpose, but really Hamas, strategically, keeps all of their weapons in the basement of schools so in order for Israel to defend itself they have no choice but to destroy their weapons, but in doing so they kill civilians. He also said that before Israel bombs schools, they tell Hamas to evacuate the children..but Hamas never does. He is very smart, but he clearly knows this. I ask him alot about everything..and he loves to tell me. We will play into eachother well because I ask alot of questions and he has alot of answers. Now, Jeanne and I are ready for bed because we both start class tommorow! I am going to have a spanish partner where I help them with English and vice versa. I am also going to volunteer to teach english at the ymca. There is sooo much I want to do! Jeanne is signed up to move into her homestay but may end up staying with me because she doesn't know that much spanish. Today, she called her host family and she kept saying " yo arriba tommorow" which means "I up tomorrow". I kept correcting her and it was hilarious. I think she will be fine, but she is a little worried about communicating with them! Tomorrow, Hannah,Nona, and Breese(my roomates) will arrive! I can't wait!!! I absolutely love it here.

Adeo,
Robin B.

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see you are enjoying yourself cuzn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would love it!! Thanks goodness. Hello to Jeanne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I hope you are taking 10 million pictures.

    ReplyDelete